Triangle is a great form!
Understand why thanks to the tutorial n°6.
Download the tutorial n°6 :
First of all: an experience with pasta!
The square is all soft while the triangle is really tough! That’s why it is used in architecture. You can build structure whole made of triangle, or you ad here and there triangles to a structure to make it stable.
Below are some examples:
* Boathouse // Shigeru Ban (Pouilly-en-Auxois – France) 2005
* Sainsbury Center for visual arts // Norman Foster (Norwich – Royaume Uni) 1974-78
* Cité du Design // LIN (Saint-Etienne – France) 2009
* Art Center College of Design // Craig Ellwood (Passadena – California) 1974
* Dome // After Buckminster Fuller (Weil am Rhein – Suisse) 1975-2000
In the 50s, Buckminster Fuller has build a lot of domes with triangulated structures.
And look! That’s so easy that you can build the model with your feet ;-)
He also published plans and explanations in order that everybody could built his own structure (following picture). Isn’t it kind?