Triangle is an amazing shape!
Understand why with tutorial N.6
Download the tutorial N.6 here :
First of all: an little experiment with pasta and strings!
The square is soft whereas the triangle is really tough! That’s why it is used in architecture. You can build structures completely made out of triangles, or you ad them here and there to make a structure rigid and stable.
Below are some examples:
* Boathouse // Shigeru Ban (Pouilly-en-Auxois – France) 2005
* Sainsbury Center for visual arts // Norman Foster (Norwich – UK) 1974-78
* Cité du Design // LIN (Saint-Etienne – France) 2009
* Art Center College of Design // Craig Ellwood (Passadena – California) 1974
* Dome // After Buckminster Fuller (Weil am Rhein – Switzerland) 1975-2000
In the 50s, Buckminster Fuller has built a lot of domes with triangulated structures.
And look! That’s so easy that you can build the model with your feet ;-)
He also published plans and explanations in order that everybody could built his own structure (following picture). Isn’t it kind?